West Papua to remain closed to international media despite Governor’s Promise

VTN | Musings Blong Orrbésau

http://freewestpapua.org/go/671

Fresh hope that Indonesia would allow foreign journalists and observers freely into occupied West Papua, appear to be unfounded.

The governor of West Papua, Lukas Enembe, said on Wednesday that he wanted to welcome reporters and NGOs into West Papua for the first time in decades.

“There’s nothing that needs to be covered up. That would only raise questions. They can see the development we have made and inform others that Papua is a safe place,” he said.

His promise was immediately seized upon by Australian Greens Senator Richard Di Natale, one of the Parliamentary Friends of West Papua group. He said he had been planning to visit the area anyway, and, in the wake of the governor’s comments he would “invite a delegation of journalists and human rights representatives to join me on the trip”.
But the hope for fresh openness was quickly squashed by the central government…

View original post 184 more words

Advertisements

About melanesianews

Free West Papua is Free Melanesia, News and Information Updates on and from Melanesia
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s